Monday, October 29, 2012

Jollof Rice


As a child, I probably had Jollof rice every Sunday afternoon for lunch after church, it is one of my favorite things to eat and even though its a pretty simple yet versatile recipe, its taken me a long time to actually perfect a recipe that's comparable to the one my mom would prepare. As usual my recipes are adjusted for simplicity and some of the ingredients here are a bit different than those we would have in Nigeria. Its similar to many other "single pot" recipes like Arroz con Pollo, Jambalaya, Risotto etc. but is known for its spicy taste and bright orange color. One of my American friends who took a liking to it  referred to it as a pizza rice! Anyway, it is made here with vegetables so its suitable for a vegetarian dish but one can add proteins such as chicken, shrimp or scallops. Obviously the addition of these will slightly alter the taste. Also one can use chicken stock instead of water but I would make sure its salt free or reduce the salt you add to the recipe. My mother also uses tomato paste in addition to the Petite diced tomatoes but I actually like mine a bit light on the tomato so I don't.

Ingredients
5 cups of Jasmine rice (I like the fragrance of this but regular long grain rice is fine as well)
28 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1/2 red pepper (diced)
1/2 green pepper (diced)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups mixed vegetables such as corn, peas, Lima beans etc. (fresh, frozen or canned)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1-2 teaspoons Nigerian pepper (substitute with cayenne)- reduce to regulate spiciness
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 maggi cubes ( or 1 Maggie rectangle)

Instructions
  1. Heat oil in pot on high heat. (adjust depending on your range)
  2. Add diced tomatoes and fry for 8 minutes
  3. Reduce heat, add rice and butter mix in completely.
  4. Add diced red and green peppers.
  5. Add water (reduce by 1/2 cup if using frozen vegetable) and increase heat until it comes to a boil.
  6. Turn down, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  7. Check rice, it should be al Dente.
  8. Add mixed vegetables and a bit more water (depending on your taste) 
  9. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
  10. Serve with dodo (fried plantain), and/or baked chicken, side salad, moi-moi etc.
2.
3.
4.
5.
8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you?