Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nigerian Vegetable Soup (Efo)

I remember growing up and having my mother always cook dinner, we would all sit down at the table every night as a family to eat dinner. My father would always send my sister and I into the kitchen to "help" my mother so we could learn to cook, which wasn't such a great idea since we were no help at all (or at least I wasn't). At the time, I would burn eggs when I attempted to cook..come to think of it I still burn eggs but at least now its not the only thing I try to cook anymore. Since having a child and moving to my own place, I have made an effort to learn how to cook. I cook things I like to eat, I don't know about you but my family and I like to eat. I also miss Nigerian food so when I get it I enjoy it but its usually at holidays or if my mother cooks for me. Anyway, I attempted making this soup on my own the other night and it actually came out rather well so I decided to try to replicate it and write down the recipe so I don't forget it or at least have proof that I can cook some Nigeria food. Now, the recipe is adjusted for the ingredients I can get here in the U.S. so its a bit different than what you may call authentic but its pretty close. Also, it is usually served with a starch as the vehicle (to get it to your mouth I supposed) such as rice, pounded yam or garri.

Ingredients
1lb beef, cubed (Stew cubes or other beef of choice) 
1lb large shrimp (peeled and devained tail-on)
2 bags of chopped spinach (frozen or fresh)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cups of water
1/4 cup Palm oil (essential for authentic taste)
2 tablespoons dried crayfish (essential for authentic taste)
1 teaspoon Nigerian pepper (substitute with cayenne)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
1 teaspoon black pepper
1-2 Maggi cubes
Salt -to taste

Instructions

  1. Marinate beef in a pinch of salt, pepper, oil, garlic powder and cumin for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight. (this can be eliminated but then the meat might be a bit one dimensional which is why I don't like to cook beef without a bit of marinading)
  2. Heat olive oil in a skillet on high until hot and add meat, fry until outside is brown, about 2 minutes each side.
  3. Add water to the meat (or enough to cover the meat) and turn down the heat to medium.
  4. Cook for 20 minutes until beef is tender and the water is almost absorbed.
  5. If using frozen spinach, thaw in advance and drain excess water. Set aside
  6. If using fresh spinach, wash thoroughly and chop. Set aside
  7. Add spinach, maggi, pepper, salt, crayfish and palm oil, mix well turn up heat to high.
  8. Cook on high for 10 minutes, mixture should not have excess water.
  9. Add shrimp and simmer until shrimp turn pink.
  10. Cook for another few minutes and serve over hot rice or next to a mound of pounded yam.
  11. you may need to take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you?