Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dinner tonight...



As the cool weather sets in and the summer warmth leaves the air, I tried to savor the last drops of summer by making a fresh heirloom tomato, basil and garlic sauce with whole wheat pasta. Now, this is a big deal for me because I don't like tomatoes at all but theres something special that happens when you combine fresh ingredients and let them steep in olive oil for a few hours. The heirlooms give off the flavor and infuse the oil with a burst of sweetness. The basil gives a bit of flavor and the garlic gives it a  little bit of complexity. Once tomatoes have been marinating for a while, just boil the pasta until al dente ( 7-10 minutes, a bit longer for whole wheat pasta) then drain leaving a little bit of pasta water and immediately combine with the tomatoes. The warmth from the pasta marries the flavors together and you get a great summer evening dish that will please all ( including my little picky eaters), I look forward to making this again net summer!

If you like, you can add shrimp or eat the steamed shrimp on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you?