Friday, November 16, 2012

Pork and Shrimp Shumai



If I discovered I was half Asian, I wouldn't be surprised solely based on my love for their cuisine. I can always go for good fresh Chinese, Korean or Indian food but since its not always as accessible as I'd like, I try to make the things I like to eat. The husband and my daughter also really enjoy this kind of food so much so that we started to frequent a Dim Sum place on Sunday afternoons to have the full experience of the hot and cold carts being pulled around and picking things on the fly. One thing we always get when we are there is dumplings. We love the shrimp dumplings but I cannot replicate them authentically to save my life! We decided to try to make these the other day when my cravings hit and they actually came out pretty good. Obviously the wrapping could be better but they tasted pretty good to me, especially for a first attempt. I find the images are always better than just words.Here goes..

For the filling:
1 lb. boneless pork, ground
1/2 cup minced raw shrimp ( I added a bit more because I like shrimp!)
2 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean and tough stems removed, minced
1 Tbs. peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
3 green onions (white parts only), finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 Tbs. rice wine, sake or dry sherry
2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
3/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, to taste

30 dumpling wrappers (I assume its easier with round ones but I used square)
Napa cabbage leaves for lining steamer

Directions:

  1. Combine the pork, shrimp, mushrooms, bamboo shoot, green onion and ginger and stir briefly to combine. 
  2. Add the cornstarch, rice wine, sesame oil, salt and pepper and stir until the mixture has a smooth, even consistency.
  3. Place a heaping 1 Tbs. of filling in the center of the wrapper. Cup it in your hand and, with the index finger and thumb of your other hand, pleat the top edge. 
  4. Squeeze the dumpling gently in the center to indent slightly and tap the bottom to flatten. 
  5. Using the back of a teaspoon dipped in water, pack the filling gently and smooth the top.
  6.  Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers to make 24 dumplings. (The extra dumpling wrappers allow you to lose a few while practicing.)
  7. In a saucepan, pour in water to a depth of 2 inches and bring to a boil over high heat. 
  8. Line a bamboo steamer basket or a plate with a single layer of cabbage leaves and top with half of the dumplings, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart. 
  9. Place the basket in the wok or on top of the pan, or place the plate on a steamer rack in the wok or pan. Make sure the steaming water does not touch the basket or plate. 
  10. Cover tightly and steam until the wrappers are translucent and the visible filling is opaque, about 6 minutes. 
  11. Transfer the dumplings to a large, wide, shallow platter and keep warm in a 200°F oven while you steam the remaining dumplings.
  12. Serve the dumplings immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you?