Friday, May 25, 2012

Weird.

What do you do when theres a little bully on the playground who's mother does not accept that her child might be a problem?

Do I let the child know that she's (or he) better watch her step? Do I sit back and trust that my little girl will find her way out of it? Do I take her out of the situation (save her)? Do I get the mom to say something?

Well I chose the second and it worked! Although Arie adopted an aversion strategy instead of talking/fighting back, it worked. She solved her own playground dispute without any help from us.

Kids are brutal on one another! gosh in the last few days I have had two playground encounters with little girls that makes me think what I have in store for myself. The mean girls (popular) and the others already exists at an early age and I think its reinforced knowingly by the mothers, simply by not addressing the kids actions, we encourage our children to make others feel bad for no good reason! 




Here's a little story: Arielle was playing by herself at the sand tables (there were 5 separate ones) and got confronted by two little girls about her age and a curiously bigger girl (maybe 12 yrs), they asked her her name numerous times and she just played deaf with a stone face (whats that all about..?). Anyway, she eventually joined in playing beside them and one of the two little girls snatched the shovel from her and would not give it back..backed by the 12 yrs girl, Arielle tried to get it back to no avail so she left. As she played at another table by herself, the friend of the snatcher came over to join her and this angered the other girl..at some point the little girl started crying loudly and screaming "I said I was sorry".. her mom as well as the mom of the other little one came over and scooped them both away..leaving Arielle playing once again by herself. The twelve year old shared the story with them but they seemed to not care. When I asked Arielle if everything was alright (because she didn't seemed phased by this at all), she said "yes" but let me know that the girls had said she was "WEIRD"..what? What's so weird about her? Not nice little girl! 














No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you?